Friday, March 25, 2011

League of Legends

Alright, so I've been gone for at least a week. Admittedly not a good way to start up a blog, but considering the content I think it's understandable. A lot of my time has gone into playing games and giving me fuel for this. Now if I can just find time to put it all into text for you people. However, my weekdays are generally booked, so I'll probably try to update two or three times on weekends instead of just going for that typical M/W/F spread.

Anyway, first off on the list of games I will be ranting about this weekend will be League of Legends which I have no clue what it would fall under for classification. It's a free to play PvP game with a top down set-up that gives you a champion, a team of four other people, and an unending supply of minions and sends you up against another team with the goal of killing them and breaking their stuff. Pretty simple concept all told. Your minions come in several varieties (melee, mage, cannoneer, and super), go out in waves along various paths and attempt to kill anything of the opposing color they should encounter. This generally doesn't end well for them, but what do you expect? They're minions. They're cannon fodder for the most part, the real game revolving around the Champions.

Champions come in a number of flavors, roughly defined as Tank, Mage, Assassin, and Support. Of course, if you go to that champ's info you'll likely find a few more tags like Bruiser, Ranged, Carry, Juggler, and Recommended. The latter are difficult to find should you actually be looking for them however as most of them don't appear on filters (except for Recommended). Moving on. All champs have 5 abilities: one innate, three general, and an ultimate. You then use these to kill minions and level up until the enemy gives you the chance to end them. As I said earlier- pretty simple. Things start to get complicated when you start buying items, selecting masteries, and equipping runes.

Once you get into the game is where I start being conflicted.The game's pretty fun, but there are a few issues that kind of make it annoying. Dying is very easy, and sometimes getting a kill is rather hard if you don't know what you're doing. Death timers can reach at least a full minute at near the end of a match and if you die often you can easily spend more time dead than alive. It'd be nice if they introduced a modifier that adjusted your time based on your kill/death ratio (perhaps something along the lines of kills=2, assists=1, [kills+assists] - deaths = modifier, if modifier = negative reduce death time). It'd also be nice if you could set your own shopping list. The game gives you a "recommended" set-up for each champion whenever you visit the store, but a lot of builds only use a few of the items on that list. It'd be nice if you could replace them with your own so that you can quickly and easily get what you want and get back to killing stuff.

I have a few more complaints but I think I'm more to blame for them than anyone else. I'm still a little shaky with mouse and keyboard controls and I don't exactly have a great mouse. I would highly recommend trying it out. I'm all in favor of free to play games and think they deserve all the support they can get, especially if they're actually good.

Wolfgang out.
When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley
with a knife and hard-on, I figure he isn't
out  collecting for the Red Cross.
-Clint Eastwood

No comments:

Post a Comment